Boer War Memorial
The Boer War Memorial was erected in 1904 and is located on the high ground on top of the Crescent behind Old Government House looking out towards the Hills District. The memorial was called the Soldiers Memorial when it was built as this was prior to the first and second world wars.
Australian participation in the African Boer War was controversial at a time when the country was increasingly republican and this was the first military engagement where Australian troops were not part of the British Army.
The New South Wales Lancer's Barracks is located in Parramatta. The NSW Lancers were the first Australian troops to arrive in South Africa in 1899 with 100 men including several from Parramatta and surrounding districts. The memorial commemorates war dead from this catchment and inclusion was by subscription.
The cannon on top of the memorial is one of six nine-pounder field guns acquired by New South Wales in 1856 intended to be part of the defence of Port Jackson.
The four Doric columns and the entablature blocks and the cornice are from the Parramatta Courthouse built by Mortimer Lewis in 1837. The broken pillar in the centre of the memorial signifies "life broken short" to remember the lives lost in the War.
The two Georgian cannons that sit either side of the memorial were intended for two batteries that were to be part of the the defense of the Port Jackson area in the 1850's. They were added to the memorial later.